The Sony PlayStation 2 turns twenty today and that is cause for a celebration. The iconic second-gen console was released in Japan on March 4th, 2000. Exactly twenty years ago […]
The Sony PlayStation 2 turns twenty today and that is cause for a celebration. The iconic second-gen console was released in Japan on March 4th, 2000. Exactly twenty years ago it changed how we experience video games. Let’s look back on the beloved PS2.
The second console released by Sony came out in march of 2000 for ¥39,800. North-America followed in October of that year (US$299). Europe and Australia got their Doritos-covered hands on the PS in November of 2000. It surpassed $250 million in sales (games, accessories included) on the first day, shipping 980,000 units in Japan.
In terms of hardware, while not as powerful as the initial Xbox (the roles are reversed now), it still churned out some solid graphics. Well, for that era, of course. The PS2 featured a whopping 32 MB RAM, a 300MHz processor, a 150 MHz graphics card (4MB eRAM) and those cute little 8MB memory cards.
What did people play on this iconic console, you ask? Well, if you had a PS2 or knew someone that did, you probably played one (or all) of the following PS2 games. Notice how all the games in the top 5 start with ‘Gran’? Yeah, we don’t know what that is about either. Anyway, here are the top ten best selling PS2 games of all time. (source: VGChartz).
10. Kingdom Hearts – 6.40 Million
9. Medal of Honor: Frontline – 6.83 Million
8. Need for Speed: Underground 2 – 6.90 Million
7. Need for Speed: Underground – 7.20 Million
6. Final Fantasy X – 8.05 Million
5. Gran Turismo 4 – 11.66 Million
4. Grand Theft Auto III – 13.10 Million
3. Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec – 14.98 Million
2. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City – 16.15 Million
1. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas – 20.81 Million
So there you have it, the top ten best selling PS2 games of all time. For more video game news and content, visit us on Facebook!